View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #122
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is it because it's all made up?
If so, that's a problem. If I think it couldn't really happen, it will feel fake. I couldn't get through Frankenstein. Since there's plenty else I do like, it's no loss for me.

However, if a book is good, it couldn't really be all made up. Harry Potter fans surely think that the emotions the characters experience are like those real people experience. I read one Potter book and didn't buy into it. Could be I was missing something.

We're in a fantasy book boom. There may be an even bigger boom in Ayn Rand books, as shown in the right-hand column of these links:

100 Best 20th Century Novels

100 Best 20th Century Nonfiction Books

Just because a genre is trendy doesn't tell us whether the trend will continue. No one can predict how long these booms will last.

It could be that Tolkien characters are actually less "all made up" than Rand characters. It depends on whether real people placed in extraordinary circumstances would really think or interact as these authors portray.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-10-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary words
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote