View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Time for a next level UI ?

Hi all, I hope this is an appropriate Q to post here. I am a Mac user of Calibre and a Kindle Touch for the last 6 months and am very Computer literate over a period of 40 years with both Windows and Mac. I also take part in a lot of discussions about eBooks and the transition form paper to digital.

With eBooks really breaking out past earl, tech type, adopters now - I really feel that the whole eBook format issue and the device dependency issue is holding people back that are ready and willing to move from paper to digital. I have experience of this reluctance and have tried to introduce them to using Calibre to overcome their reluctance ... for managing their eBooks, stripping DRM, changing formats etc.

But the interface is still so so so technical and obscure - Myriads of choices, functions, listings etc. It is FINE for people who are accustomed to using technical applications every day. And those people (incl me) probably find it quite frustrating when ordinary people are bewildered.

I believe that someone somewhere needs to develop Calibre, or a program like it if necessary, that has a much much simplified interface and communicates with non technical readers in their own language.

Is there any intention among the Calibre community to look at this kind of thing ? I see a huge amount of work going on. Great work. Wonderful volunteer work. Making Calibre more powerful and useful all the time. But I see no evidence that someone is looking at the big picture of moving Calibre from the arena of tech tool to mainstream eBook management software.

Am I wrong ?
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote