View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #207
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't have a color issue with mine but seeing how the technology works. It makes sense that LEDS could have issues. All the front lit does is light up a normal eInk screen. Have you tried turning it all the way down and see if you have color discoloration?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
@Blossom:
It's funny but the pink blob on your edited photo's is exactly where it's visible on mine (not everywhere on the screen, but only faintly where your photo shows the color deviation.
The same style of pink too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
That's why I think it's the LEDS. If I have the light turned all the way down, it looks almost identical to my K3 screen and there are no color hues at all. Same thing with the other devices I was sent.
I too believe it has something to do with how the frontlight works. Still much better than any clip on light can do. And the colors are there in the pictures.

I am thinking some Photoshop magic is in order. I took liberty to edit the pictures in PS. First of all the artifacts of the jpeg compression already in the "original" are quite noticeable. What I changed is this (to each photo including my own) exactly the same:

1) Convert to 32bit / channel rgb color (for higher accuracy during next steps)

2) In Hue/Saturation: Modify Saturation to +98, Lightness -60 (reduced lightness to keep similar look of the image instead of overexposed looking)

3) Convert back to 8 bit / channel (so it can be saved as jpeg) with HDR toning setting: exposure/gamma set to exposure=0.0, gamma= 1.0

4) Only on my photo: reduce image size to 25% as I was working with the original image right out of camera up until this step.

5) Save for Web with enough quality for not adding to many extra artifacts

Findings:

- I tried to do above image manipulation in 8bit/channel. Horrible. Going 32 bit made a huge difference in bringing out the color information I was looking for.

- Blossoms pictures turned into very low quality when she compressed them for smaller uploads - that was very noticeable only once I enhanced color.

- Her camera setting added to the mix of colors. Notice on the edit-blossom-pw1.jpeg how her flash or AF illumination light or lighting casts light on the middle of the picture illuminating the black of the bezel. If you ignore that, than that screen would look even more even color wise. The yellow round blob is purely from the camera, not from the PW. Even with that camera defect the picuture looks very good.

- My picture comparing my 2 PW was shot in the bathroom with light turned off (as close to dark as I can get) and light set to 24. Other than the screen hardly anything is lit up. The lightest is the flap of the cover on the right PW - that is lit by the PW shining on the flap. Very noticeable: the color temperature from left one to right one is very different. And this shot was done at the same time, so not a issue in camera setting or white balance.

- All PWs appear to be tinted a little bit greener on the top part of the screen - although this effect is much exeggerated by turning up saturation in the files.

- I love both my PW and consider them looking great. If they are too rainbowy to you, then a PW is not for you. I also would not mind using Blossoms PW - looks great.

So in short: yes, there is colors in them pictures, no doubt. Yes, that is not the same as looking at the device first hand. Yes, our cheap consumer cameras don't do justice to reality. No, judging from a picture only it is impossible to tell if you would mind in person. I consider my Nikon P500 cheap as well, but one has to compromise on quality and price. And not making any money off photography, it is unreasonable for me to get a good camera.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote