View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
danrodney
All Around Nice Guy
danrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of itdanrodney has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, Nook 1st Gen, Nook Color
OK, one thing I just tried is to delete the encryption.xml file that InDesign produces. If I re-zip the ePub the fonts still do not work. BUT if I swap out the fonts that InDesign puts into the ePub with the original font files, THEN I get an ePub with working fonts that DOES validate. Soo... that leaves me wondering:

Should the fonts in the ePub be:
A. the original font files
B. the ones InDesign adds (which are a smaller filesize than the original so they are obviously changed somehow, probably encrypted somehow)
C. something else. Is there some way to make a reduced filesize version of the font that I should be using in ePubs? If so how do I make that? I bring this up because I know websites like fontsquirrel.com have a font-face generator to make web optimized versions of the font files. Should I be using that for ePubs as well?

And lastly, is it OK to not have the encryption.xml file in commercially sold ePubs that contain embedded fonts?

Thanks again!
danrodney is offline   Reply With Quote