View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #64
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I think 11" or 12" panels would make e-readers significantly less convenient to carry around. I'm in a special situation, because I'm in a wheelchair and would find rolling around with something that size difficult (whereas I could put a Kindle 3 in my backpack fairly easily), but I
The one discussed appears sized to fit a briefcase. It would fit in a backpack, or the shoulder bag I usually carry.

Quote:
think the (non-DX) Kindles and Nooks of the world are closer to a size that someone would want to carry. And too much smaller than that, and you run into readability (as in, not being able to read enough at once) problems. (I know a lot of people read on their iPhones and other phones, but from what I understand, they do this in short bursts, and do their "main" reading on an e-reader or computer screen).
My normal ebook viewer is a PalmOS PDA, with a 320x480 3.25"x2.25" display. Using custom fonts in Plucker and MobiPocket, my two usual book viewers, I get about 15 lines on a landscape screen, with about 120 words per screen. It's comfortable to read, and I can do so for extended stretches. (I'm reading Bertrand Russell's _The Problems of Philosophy_ in a Mobi edition from MR now.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote