View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jon:

Man, those are all going to be tough. He has 58 images that total 132mb--you have to assume that 99% of the size is in those images--which means, on average, each image totes ~2.3mb per.

To make 10mb--total, for 58 images, that means he has to get them down to an average of 172.5KB. KILOBYTES, not MB.

The degradation will be real. We just took a run at a job like this, and I had to tell the customer that the quality he wanted could not be done, not for under 100kb per. It just couldn't.

Let's see, 10mb. Is that NetGalley?

Hitch
If you reduce the images in size if they are large enough and then lossless compress plus if there are fonts and you subset them, that's going to be as small as possible unless the images are not JPG. Then converting to JPHG and lossless compress will be as small as possible.

I doubted that the ePub would get down to 10MB in size. That my I said to deal.

One other thing I thought of that would help some. If the images are grayscale but using a 24-bit palette, setting to grayscale will reduce a the size a little.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote