View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowReader23 View Post
How do I easily compress a large ePub file from 132mb down to 10mb without losing image resolution (there are about 58 images and those have already been compressed minimizing the whole document from 162mb to 132mb)?
In my experience, which is pretty broad, there is no magic way to reduce/compress images and not "lose" image resolution. The best solution I've found for it, over the years, is TinyPNG, changing 300dpi images to, say, 96 dpi, but at the same time, removing any unused, but space-eating pixels. That gives me the best, most-zoomable result.

I would second Turtle's discussion with you about pixel dimensions, too. I see a lot of eBooks that have massively oversized images in them for no good reason. These tend to come out of InDesign, particularly.

Once you've fixed the dimensions, which probably are biting you a bit (not certainly, but probably) you can try TINYPNG and see if that gets you closer to where you need to be.

Although...look, I've done a lot of resizing and compressing over the years. 132mb to 10mb? That's... you're not going to get there, without some quality loss. You're simply not and you need to accept that before you start.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote