View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I used to work at an independent bookstore "in the olden days" before the internet. One of the functions of our bookstore was to come up with the title of a book you had heard about but couldn't quite remember. We would get all the staff members together to brainstorm and we loved doing this.

When B&N opened right by Shakespeare & Co on the upper west side in NYC, a famous story went around. A customer went in to B&N with a usual request: "I heard about this book on NPR, what is it called?" The bookstore attendant couldn't come up with the name. She said, "why don't you go to Shakespeare & Co, ask them for the name of the book, and come back here and buy it at a discount?"

Well now you would just google for the book, Shakespeare & Co closed that location many years ago, and B&N is in trouble.

Now I live in a neighborhood that is famous for having a lot of kids. Our local B&N serves a different function: kids playspace. The nannies take the kids there, read a lot of books, leave them on the floor, and don't buy anything. I admit I have done this with my daughter many times, but we always make a point to put the books back where they came from, we often get a treat for her and a coffee for me in the cafe, and once in a while we buy a kids book or something else like greeting cards. My daughter LOVES the bookstore and I would be sad indeed if we didn't have it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote