View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Gremlin
Gremlin began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Lightbulb Catalog Software

Hi All,

I scanned this forum for the answer for this question but didn’t found one. What software you're using folks for cataloging yours' e-books?

Like many of this forum members, over the years my virtual bookshelf grew to several thousands (to say the least) of e-books. On the other hand, the year is 2010 and we're managing nationwide stores with billions of items by wireless handhelds up to resolution of item / per location. So, I've wondered one day (while searching my library for a book on a particular topic) what do the market have to offer to us, book lovers. And the answer was quite frustrating – not much. Other than some starter projects, there were only a few mature pieces ready to use. I'll review here shortly the ones I've found – feel free to add and correct my reviews:

Calibre – Very nice piece of software as far as converting is concerned. But I'm struggling to understand why "Calibre" copies each book I add to its library folder? Isn't that obvious that each book I add is already on my hard-drive? Isn't that wasting the HD space making it double (in terms of MBs)? I sure I don’t understand something.

Alfa Ebooks Manager – Very nice looking software. Don’t get me wrong but I do expect for something more than just a database. I'm able to build one myself but in mine humble opinion catalog software should provide me with comments/ratings on a book from Amazon (other big reseller), cover slide show, portability or secured web access, database export etc. On the other hand, this software got some low recommendations on this forum and I was unable to find any other sound review.

eLibrary - Very sound software for e-book cataloging but if only the GUI could be improved. It does most of the functions I expect from such software to do but I'd like the GUI to be improved. Otherwise, I'll resort to this software for utilizing some order in mine library.

We can have a poll over here after we start gathering answers, but anyhow what do you say folks, what do you're using for keeping your virtual bookshelf in order?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote