View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Uploading copyrighted materials without permission of the copyright holder and providing them for download.

I find this had to believe, but do know it is true under come countries laws.

Uploading is not the full story here.
There is much more, and the story is more complex than upload/download. I'm not saying that this site should be the bright example of all future online libraries. But taking into consideration the fact, that the publishers refuse to sell ebooks, it's no wonder the site came to existence. What is disturbing, instead of recognizing the possibility of marketing and profit from selling the questioned ebooks the publishers jump on the site like bull on red. I can't neither understand nor tolerate such behavior.

And there is this aspect - for the Canadian users in MR there are a lot of ebooks available due to expired copyrights. Imagine the site in question like a small MR (I'm referring only to the structure, not to the content etc). Now imagine for 1% of the books on MR Amazon (again, just example) has the copyrights, it's legal to have the books on the site available for reading, but Amazon is not happy. They complain to the police and instead of discussing the problem, the Canadian Police Department against Organized Crime attacks the MR headquarters, arrests Alex, all other admins and uploaders; confiscates all the servers and by doing it brings down the whole site, including forums, books (99% of which are without copy rights on them and 1% being uploaded using the library model), etc.

Imagined? It's just not the way a system should work...

I'm sorry that the readers here read only "my" side of the story, but I doubt you'll find many Bulgarian publishers represented here.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote