View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #30
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
The excerpt from Finnegans Wake seems more like Bablefish translations to me. O.o

It really does depend on the author and your mindset. I spent the better part of three years translating Caesar's Gallic Wars, so periodic sentences and inverted word order don't faze me. For someone writing over two thousand years ago, he's quite readable. H.G. Wells is another one. When I read War of the Worlds I forgot that it was written over a hundred years ago, until the main character steals a horse and cart.

I agree about Cat's Cradle. I read it, and I still have no real idea what was going on. Same with L'Estranger. (At least when I read that, I thought it was my sketchy French...then I read a translation, no, it makes no sense.)
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote