View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Secret Agent Man
Secret Agent Man began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
In Dire Need of Workaround to Export Personal Docs with Notes Intact (Sony PRS-600)

Hello MobileReaders,

I have a conundrum I haven't seen directly addressed in other threads. I work in publishing and use my Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600) to both review and annotate manuscripts. They are usually Word docs but become RTF's when I import them, which is fine. I can read them easily and make notes easily, but the problem arises when I am ready to send the document and my notes back to the author (via email as a Word doc or RTF).

As many of you know, the annotations are not stored within the document itself. I can export them as an RTF list with page number references, but that doesn't solve my problem, because the page numbers it refers to are for the Sony Reader pagination (smaller format, many more pages), which don't directly correlate to the page numbers of the Word doc (I tried multiplying by the indicated factor and the numbers come out close, but not close enough).

Since the annotations are connected to the text strings highlighted, it seems the information that would place them exactly in the document must exist. Does anyone know of a workaround that would enable me to either export the document itself with the notes intact and in the right locations, or in some way merge the notes with document so they appear as comments tied to the correct text highlights?

If not, perhaps one of you generous geniuses has written or would be willing to write a patch to accomplish this, whether as an additional feature for Calibre or something independent (hopefully that laymen can execute). The publishing world would be eternally in your debt...
Secret Agent Man is offline   Reply With Quote