View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
The problem with Kindle Store, Eowyn, is that it only carries books by publishers with a
US presence (US address, social security and tax numbers, and banking). We're UK-based so -- although all our single edition paperbacks by authors worldwide and on which we hold international rights are still on offer at Amazon -- we, and hundreds of other small non-US houses -- are locked out and, after eight years, our ebooks disappeared overnight.

Amazon says there are 'no immediate plans' to change the Kindle Store system to allow foreign publishers a crack of the whip. No explanation ... just that. I have a feeling non-US houses are likely to see a smiliar lock-out on their ebook versions with Barnes & Noble now that *the nook* has launched. All our ebook versions have disappeared from their site.

I'm not too concerned. Amazon and B&N are predators and I'd prefer not to join them in their game. If I can make our ebooks more presentable in smaller, altertnative and honest retail stores -- less monopolising, manipulative and downright greedy and with no nefarious vested interest in hardware and jealously guarded format and DRM -- I'll feel I'm doing my job as I always promised our authors and readers it would be done.

Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote