View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
A friend of mine bought my old Cybook reader, which is starting to die on her. Being in the US, finding a replacement Cybook isn't working out, so I've been checking out other readers for her (my 350/650 make me happy and are still living well ).

I played with a Nook Glow (which is basically their Touch, with a light). There are buttons on the side bezels to turn pages. There's also a Nook button for turning the light on and off and for opening up the various context menus. However, you will have to touch the screen (just like with the newer Sony's) to do things like choose your book, make notes, etc. For my Sony, I actually use an old make-up brush to swipe the screen, rather than a stylus or my greasy fingers.

Downside of the Nook versus the Sony that I noticed - you HAVE to register the Nook reader before you can use it (unless there's a hack I'm not aware of). So you have to set up an account at B&N, including giving them a credit card. Also, if you put a lot of books on the reader, you'll have to turn more pages to browse them, since the Nook only shows 5-6 books per page, rather than Sony's 10.

I haven't found a store to look at a Kobo. The Kobo system looks more like the logic my friend's Cybook uses. But it seems to me there are more threads on Mobileread about problems with Kobo's, so I'm nervous about recommending one without seeing one in person. But I've heard that the Kobo has the same issue as the Nook - you have to create a Kobo account (if you don't have one) and connect to it the first time before it will let you use it.

I have a 1st gen Kindle that didn't require me to create an account (if I only load no-DRM books). And that's been true for every Sony I've owned. So I find the fact that I *have* to tie the reader to an account before I use it as overly intrusive. Especially with all the social networking crap that both the Nook and the Kobo (Kobo is worse) include in their "reader experience".

I wish I could get my hands on a Pocketbook. They don't require an account before use, although because they're not tied to bookstores, they're also a little more expensive. I tried a Sony T1, and I didn't like it nearly as much as my 650. So I have been keeping my own wishes in mind as I check out the other readers available. But so far, I'm still partial to my 650!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote