View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Another question about the en/emdashes... does it matter if they're orphaned and fall onto the next line? I know I avoid it for ellipses, but it's never bothered me if an emdash should fall on the next line like so (but I could be very wrong about that since I'm still such a newb at this and perhaps it should be avoided too):

Yes: except for a brief period, the house had been untenanted for some time
—for fifteen years, in fact.
I don't like an em-dash on the next line.

If we could rely on renderers, I would suggest that for
<word><space><en-dash><space<word>
you use
<word><no-break space U+00A0><en-dash><space><word>.

For
<word><em-dash><word>
you could use
<word><word joiner U+2060><em-dash><word>

But most renderers will do what they want anyway, and might display an unknown character symbol.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote