View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll also second On Chesil Beach. Question:
Spoiler:
The names Edward and Florence to me evoke The Good Soldier. Is that a point of reference for this? The blurb makes me think so.
Answer:
Spoiler:
Quote:
More recently, I was talking to Ian McEwan, who told me that a few years ago he'd been staying in a house with a well-stocked library. There he found a copy of The Good Soldier, which he read and admired greatly. A while later, he wrote On Chesil Beach, that brilliant novella in which passion, and Englishness, and misunderstanding, lead to emotional catastrophe. Only after publishing the book did he realise that he had unconsciously given his two main characters the names Edward (as in Ashburnham) and Florence (as in Dowell). He is quite happy for me to pass this on.

I'm happy to third On Chesil Beach, it's a quick read and I'd be interested in reading a discussion on it. I've also read True History of the Kelly Gang, another worthwhile nomination.

Last edited by Synamon; 09-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote