View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
I have a Kobo Touch which I really like it. It does have an internet browser and WiFi. From what little I've used it, it seems adequate enough. Keep in mind, this is a black-and-white e-ink screen, so don't expect it to be as good as your computer. Still, I had no trouble navigating and typing and it was actually a little zippier than I was expecting. There is also a mobile app for Android, and I think iPhone too.

Currently its main social feature is Reading Life, which you can connect with Facebook or whatever to share your awards. I think you can also share passages of books you like, and things like that (I haven't used it - I tend to have my WiFi off). Kobo's doing firmware updates all the time, so new features are still popping up pretty often.

You're right, the Kobo is much more open, and this is a huge advantage in the long run. In the long run, you'll eventually wind up getting some other device, and it may or may not be the same company you got your first device from.

The Kobo supports the universal format Epub, which Kindle doesn't. Their store is also straight-forward in telling you which books are DRM'ed, which B&N (Nook's store) is not. The reason this matters is because Kindle formats won't work on anything but a Kindle, and B&N Nook DRM won't work on anything but a Nook (and like I said, they won't tell you if the book has DRM when you buy it, so you can't tell).

So if you ever switch devices, you can see how much of a problem this could be. There are ways around it, of course. But it's much easier to go with a more open reader and avoid that trouble to begin with. That was a big selling point for me with the Kobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David732 View Post
I have preordered the Kindle Touch 3g, but I recently found out that I won't be able to use the 3G connection for web browsing. I reexamined all the choices I had and have (tentatively) narrowed it down to these options:

-Don't cancel pre-order, buy the Kindle Touch 3G (w/ special offers):
I get Wikipedia and Amazon everywhere, which will be somewhat useful for me when I'm traveling. I definitely would prefer a touch screen to a keyboard. I would enjoy the games and applications (both jailbreak and non-jailbreak) that Kindle has, especially with a touch screen (assuming that applications will work with the Kindle Touch, which seems reasonable).
-Switch to Kindle Keyboard 3G:
The main reason I would consider this is to be able to browse the web with a 3G connection. One concern I have is that Amazon may simply remove 3G browsing from the Kindle Keyboard in a few months. I also do not like keyboard controls and would strongly prefer a touchscreen
-Switch to Kindle Wi-fi Touch:
This would be cheaper than the above two options, while still retaining a touchscreen and the advantages of a Kindle. On the other hand, I would miss the 3G.

Another thing I can't figure out is if these new Kindles will still support mobi.

-Kobo Touch:
The Kobo Touch seems like a very good reader for what I need. I like the many formats supported and reading "achievements". The downside to me is that as far as I can tell it doesn't have applications, and I'm not sure if it has a web browser.
-Nook Simple Touch:
Honestly, I think that the Kindle Touch or Kobo Touch are better than this, but it seems comparable and there are used versions available for really low prices.

If anyone who has used some of these readers before could give me advice I'd be happy.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-23-2011 at 09:53 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote