View Single Post
Old 07-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Horrible, boring books by Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, Maugham, etc. It really turned me off of reading. I hated going to English class because of it.
I've read one Hemingway book, not in school, and one Fitzgerald book, also not in school. I enjoyed both. Neither were boring. In fact the Hemingway book I read, "The Old Man and the Sea" is a book I've re-read every few years ever since.

I haven't read anything by Faulkner that I can recall. But I've read and enjoyed practically everything by Maugham and Steinbeck. I re-read Steinbeck's books over and over every few years and I do the same with a couple of Maugham's books. These are just fun reading.

I'm not sure I can name a real favorite author but if I had to pick one Steinbeck is probably the most likely candidate. Maugham would certainly be on the list to choose from.

I read for the fun of it, not to learn or to become wise or more cultured or anything like that. I read what I feel like reading and those are good choices.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote