View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am 99.9999999999999999999999% positive the only time you get a facebook nag is if you've signed into your facebook account via your Kindle settings. I've never seen that nag, EVER, and I have finished books while connected to WiFi.

And the popup for rating the book only shows up after you've finished the book, when I usually just press the home button at that point anyway. I don't have a moral objective to seeing the popup if it doesn't hinder my getting out of the book.

On sideloaded books, this popup is at the 100% (location) mark, on Amazon-loaded books, it is wherever Amazon's algorithms say the end of the book is. Which is very often before end matter, previews, and extra material, like short stories.

Fortunately, I discovered the data is all saved in /documents/{book-title}.sdr/EndActions.data.{ASIN}.asc, so I searched and deleted them all. Since I backup my Kindle for weird reasons, rsync is set to prune out all files containing "EndActions". And a KUAL hack which turns off the popups via the settings database now includes (on my suggestion) a button to "rm /mnt/us/documents/*/EndActions.data.*.asc" for extra security.

This might not suit everybody, but I find it makes for a happy Kindle reading experience. YMMV.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote