View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
LDBoblo: I agree that the quality kinda sucks in general. However, it's somewhat of a tradeoff between portability with long battery and ease of reading. The next generation ebook readers will have the new and improved 7th generation eink displays (I think that's right. bob barry might know for certain) which go a long ways towards improved quality without loss of portability or battery life. The 7th gen screens I believe are also color if I remember right.
E-Ink is just one brand of EPDs, now part of the company PVI. Before they make color available either at the end of this year or early next, there may be other alternatives around (both in terms of EPDs, which I'm not a fan of, and other, likely superior e-paper technologies), and PVI/E-Ink will likely have an intermediate step in the form of a higher-contrast monochrome screen. A higher resolution TFT backplane would be great, and speed is crucial. I don't know if EPDs will ever really be fast enough, but they're working on it.

Certainly future generations of ebook readers will get more and more promising, and with any luck, the software will develop for them too, as that's also disturbingly primitive right now.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote