View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
If the web browser is still under experimental features and is only accessible with a registered Kindle then I won't be able to use it for purposes stated above. I'll have to wait until I return to the states in 2010.
I think you might be stuck. Let's think this through.

If you think about how this might work, you might consider the following: the Kindle connects to Sprint's network, Sprint must therefore connect to Amazon's network. For security and/or monitoring reasons, it is likely that some (apparently not all) of the Kindle related servers, such as the "registration server" at Amazon, are filtered to only accept incoming traffic from Sprint.

Side note- this architecture implies that web-browsing from a 3G connection is being proxied by Sprint and/or Amazon. Which only makes sense since some day it may not be free. At the very least they could monitor "abusers".

A kindle connected to an intermediate PC will not look like a "Sprint" Kindle to Amazon, it will be just another browser coming into amazon.com through the general Internet and it won't automatically connect to the registration "pages".

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 03-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote