View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I own both a Kindle and a Sony reader. I've put a couple of PDF books -- freebies that the publishers were offering -- directly on the Sony. It was impossible to read them "as is" because the page was simply rendered too small. But, by pressing the font key (+), the Sony reflowed the book in a font size that was reasonable. It wasn't a true reflow in that each print line now was rendered as 1.5 lines, but the excess margins were gone. As I said, it was a reasonable representation and readable. I would *not* want to rely on PDF files for e-Books, however, since it's not a painless experience.

Calibre's conversion to LRF, EPUB, and MOBI was fair. The text reflowed much better, but the conversion didn't ignore the headers and trailers on each of the "printed" PDF pages. Chapter detection was also weak. So, what I might have done is use Calibre to create the EPUB version, then open the EPUB files in a text editor and clean up the conversion. But I didn't have to do that after Amazon offered the free download for the Kindle.

The Kindle is definitely my first choice for reading. I just like the font, the feel, and the ease of buying books at the least expensive price. But, my hubby bought me the lighted cover for the Sony and therefore I try to make sure that if we're traveling at night I have something queued up on the Sony to read. The lightwedge built into the Sony cover is much less distracting to him as he's driving than if I'm reading the Kindle with a traditional book light.

Last edited by Elsi; 05-24-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote