View Single Post
Old 12-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #3236
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The Vixen by Francine Prose was a HUGE disappointment. I had expected to like a novel about a young man tasked with editing an awful bodice-ripper based on the case of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. I didn't.

Supposedly parts of The Vixen were wildly funny. I must have missed them, though perhaps I did smile halfheartedly a few times. The hero was annoying (the tone adopted by the narrator, Tristan Morris, may have emphasized that quality), as was every other character, with the possible exception of his parents.

I would have preferred to read the book within the book--the bodice-ripper entitled The Vixen, the Patriot, and the Fanatic--as the excerpts from that were at least interesting.

The only reason I do not totally resent the time I spent listening to The Vixen is that I prepped for it by listening to Anne Sebba's new biography Ethel Rosenberg, which was excellent.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote