View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 05:53 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A new Raspberry Pi 4b also sounds cheap as a desktop PC, but unlike the Wyse bargain it's only cheap at about $60 if you already have a 3.5A 5V PSU, keyboard, mouse, 128 G Byte micro SD card, a box and an HDMI screen (an HDTV will do). Adding all of those gets you up to the price of a cheap new laptop.

However I see that unlike the Wyse terminals I encountered years ago (built into a CRT) these, like the Raspberry PI, need a screen, keyboard and mouse. However at least it's got a box, PSU and flash drive (You might have more than 45G byte free after an install of Linux). The RAM is fine for Linux. Mint can run email, browser and LO Writer etc with 2G of RAM. The 8 G byte is loads!

Great value if you are in the USA.
Quote:
Shipping:
Does not ship to Ireland. See details for shipping
Located in: Portland, Oregon, United States
Also likely better spec than Chrome Book (though the "new" Chrome OS isn't the same as it used to be, it's now a full Linux, but there are x86-64 and ARM versions of Chrome Book).

I suspect Wyse terminals with Linux Mint, Mate and LibreOffice is cheaper and simpler than trying to put Win10 and MS Office. I installed W10 recently on a laptop designed for it and it took about x4 longer than setting up Linux on a Dell 7030, a lenovo laptop or RPi4B. It was pre-licensed in the BIOS, so Win 10 registered. My copy of MS Office (minimum version) 2007 refused to licence, even though it's not used up.

If someone* is a writer in Ireland and has no PC/Laptop and will call in to the Batcave here in Limerick Ireland I have one free laptop and one free workstation (with LCD screen, keyboard, mouse etc) to give away. Linux and Libre Office all setup, and some training included. PM me why you need it rather than buying a cheap laptop under €300. Only to a suitable home. Collect only.

[* Two people]

Last edited by Quoth; 03-26-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote