View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
$29 Desktop Computer for Writers?

I discovered that Wyse terminals (now owned by Dell) can be used as cheap desktop computers. Currently on eBay a seller is refurbishing Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Clients and selling them for $29 (including shipping) plus tax. So I bought one to see if it would run Linux — and it does so well. Apparently you can also install Windows 10 on these also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40485361771...sAAOSwN4Flb6R~

These use a low power, quad core AMD CPU and also an AMD GPU (graphics). They come with 8 GBs of RAM (can be upgraded to 16 GBs) and a 64 GB flash drive (which you can also upgrade). These are not high-end specs, but the computer runs well with Linux Mint 21.3 (newest version). It took 30 minutes (using a USB 2.0 thumb drive) to fully install and completely upgrade the software. Everything came up fine, audio, video drivers, etc. It's small 7" x 7" x 1.5" and has no fan (so it's silent), but it's heavier than you think by looking at it because it's got a big heat sink. These have two display ports for video, so there's a decent chance you might need a Display Port to VGA or HDMI adapter, about $6 or $7 on Amazon. (Be aware that most sellers do not sell these with 8 GBs of RAM or a 64 GB flash drive, so that check that out. Also a lot of sellers don't include the power supply, this seller does, and these can cost almost as much as the computer for OEM ones.)

It runs YouTube and streaming movies well. I tested mine at HD resolution with full screen and it worked fine (surprised me). The seller has cleaned and refurbished these and mine looked almost new. It was shipped the day I ordered it and got to my house in three days.

At any rate, maybe something to look at if you need an extra computer or a first computer. I read sometimes that writers are using Android tablets or iPads for writing and I think this might give them a better option.

This is the only thing I've bought from this seller, but I was happy with the service and he has good feedback.

Sorry for rambling. If you need a cheap desktop computer option (maybe for trying out Linux) this might be worth looking into.

EDIT: I should mention that this computer does have two 3.1 USB ports, but (for some reason) they're both on the back.

EDIT 2: There is an M.2 slot for a WiFi card (like what's in laptops), but you would have to order it and install it yourself (same with antenna(s) and the wires running to them). They do come with cut out holes for the antennas with plugs in them. Some sellers do have ones with WiFi and antennas already installed, but they rarely have them with 8 GBs of RAM and 64 GBs of storage.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-25-2024 at 11:31 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote