View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJinWY View Post
Hi. This is my first day on this forum. I am looking for someone who can help me with my effort to self publish my book. I had a publisher who took me all the way through the layout phase and is about to upload my book for launch next wednesday. However, I've asked them about footnote formatting and adding page numbers to match my soft cover book but they do not know how to do that. I think they are only using KDP and the previewer and not using Calibre or other software that can do more advanced formatting (which I am assuming is needed for my two requests).

I am not techie so would like to pay someone to help me do this. I can be reached at rjohnson2000@gmail.com. Thanks, rj
Okay, I don't even know where to start.
  1. First, Calibre doesn't do formatting that's "more advanced" than KDP, when it comes to ePUB3, etc. Get that out of your head.
  2. If your publisher doesn't know how to do linked pop-up footnotes, find a real publisher. That's nuts.
  3. Is your publisher going to take the money and then pay you? Or is this publisher uploading the file to YOUR publisher account? If the latter, that's against Amazon's TOS and you could be in a spot of bother if Amazon sees that.
  4. Any competent formatter can add "RPN" (Real Page Numbers) to an ebook, but unless your book is a complex textbook, there's no reason on God's green earth for that. Is there?
  5. AND, unless you have a print book that's published, Amazon won't enable the RPNs for your book. Do you?

If that company is your "publisher," why should you pay for a formatter?

There are a list of competent formatters on the Amazon site, in the HELP section--those that have been approved by Amazon, not only for formatting for self-publishers, but that list is also approved to make books for Amazon, itself, as their customer, so you know that any company there will know what to do.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote