View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story HD, Amazon Kindle 5, and Amazon Kindle DX
Removing Background Layers from Pdfs?

Some pdfs include background layers which can obscure foreground text. All this can slow pdf loading, increase file sizes, and interfere with reading. My preferred pdf reading software can't hide layers, and the Kindle Dx's can't either.

I have coordination issues, and use scrolling software, which get interpreted as trackpad or scrollwheel actions. I also have sensory issues, and certain animation, such as smooth scrolling and zooming, can trigger my migraines.

Acrobat Reader isn't an option, since, at least in reponse to my scrolling software, it imposes smooth scrolling.

Pdf Studio Free isn't a great option, since it interprets it as zooming. I can open pdfs in it, hide layers, and print to a new pdf without text info. That suggests a multi-step process with Coherent PDF to blacken text, Pdf Studio Free to export a version without the extra layers, possibly Willus's k2pdfopt to reduce the output size, and either Willus's k2pdfopt or OCRmyPDF to rebuild the text info.

Ghrostscript isn't a great option either. -dFILTERIMAGE -dFILTERVECTOR can remove all images, including the backgrounds, but it sometimes screws with the page layout, and of course it loses any text which had been rendered as an image, as well as other images which didn't get in the way.

GS9 Color Management implies that Ghostscript *can* turn all text black, so that lighter text will be visible, but it doesn't say how. Otherwise Coherent PDF can do that, in an extra step.

There's got to be a better way...
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote