Thread: Library books
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Toronto Public Library uses the Overdrive system which means I can't use a Kindle 2. It's one reason I am toying with buying a Kobo when it's released next month.

But the selection is so slight ... I am biting my tongue not to type something vitriolic.

Libraries -- and certainly this was the Carnegie vision -- are intended to be knowledge portals where accessibility is a fundamental principle. Why on earth do not major libraries have "e-book librarians" who are curating a growing collection of titles for patrons to select from? Why isn't there a "manybooks.net" department finding the best of public domain and showcasing it "on e-shelves" for patrons to browse and borrow?

I'm astounded to discover that "e-books" is lumped in with audio books and mp3 files for borrowing once I enter the Overdrive world. I'd expect to be able to read a copy of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" and, in fact, I cant: but I can listen to it. How nuts is that?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote