View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #69
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I would miss not having books around me. More than anything, it's that I enjoy having books recalled to me by seeing their spines (this doesn't justify the doubleshelving I've done), which is an emotion entirely lost to me with ebooks. Calibre doesn't provide the same hit in the feels.
I totally agree and relate to that.

However, I still have such a huge backlog of physical books, that even though I prefer reading ebook versions, I am stuck at reading what I have already paid for. Most of the time, it is not a real issue ... only when the print is bad (faint or too small or both) or the book is not in a great condition, usually due to age and sunlight, does it irk me. And it's not just backlog either, as sometimes I like to reread books.

If I was fabulously wealthy, I guess I could donate many of my books and buy ebook versions. But like both you and Sydney's Mum (the thread starter) say, books look great in bookcases. Being a collector, I am doubly hooked, and so a place doesn't feel lived in to me, unless books are around.

For me, there has always been some kind of magic in a book ... a whole new world in many cases or the life of another, often mysterious and intriguing.

They could seem such small innocuous things, but to me they aren't.

I guess so long as they are visually there, I don't necessarily have to read them, especially if a better digital more practical way is available. Still, to pick one up now and then and feel/smell them or just look at the cover or spines, that is a special pleasure.

In a way, a bookcase can be like a piece of art ... you look at it visually and it gives various things back.

So yes, well worth decorating a place with books, even if you don't read them ... at least in my view.

Last edited by Timboli; 10-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote