View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #68
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Amazon Echo Club

I have imported over 2,000 iTunes songs into my Amazon library in anticipation of the arrival of my magic talking speaker. 82 contained DRM and I was unable to import them or convert them to another format. Now for the good news: I have discovered that getting rid of DRM on songs in your iTunes library is ridiculously easy. Embarrassingly easy, it seems. All you need to do is delete the song, but select the option to keep it in your library (and make sure that you don't check the "delete from cloud" option or you'll be screwed). The song will still be visible in your library, but will now have a cloud icon next to it. Now click on that icon to download a fresh DRM-free copy. I've already tried it on two of those 82 locked songs and it works! If you have any questions, here's the USA Today article on the subject that appeared in one of my News apps a couple of days ago.

While detailed instruction in DRM removal is normally forbidden at MobileRead, I think the fact that Apple no longer sells songs with DRM gives me a bit of a pass. That, and the fact that iTunes itself is providing the DRM-free replacements.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote