View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
philocrates
Just wandering by.
philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.philocrates is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Libre Pro Reader
Actually, I like Grooveshark more than Youtube. The last time I listened to music on you tube was about a year ago. I was on Grooveshark Friday.

They aren't taking into account that I buy artists and writers and designers I would have never even looked at before with pirated copies. Say I never read X writer. But there is a copy of his or her book online. I download. I read. Like them. Go to Barnes and Nobles to pick something up and walking in there is a display of their newest book. It goes home with me when before I would have let it sit there and gone on to buy what I walked in there to buy. It's simply the ease. There is the new book for the right price.

What they aren't taking into account is their model. I can sell X copies at Y price for max profit. That's nice but with things like ebooks, you don't have to worry about production costs so you can sell all the ebooks you want at a less price and make a raging profit. Same thing for music and the like. The old model doesn't work. So they drive the demand for pirated with greed. Come on you can't even argue cost. I can convert a pdf to an epub in minutes IF my computer is really slow. No cost and it can be copied endlessly without degrading the quality. The pricing is sheer greed.

Between that, lying about actual profit loss from theft, and costing me tax dollars when they should be required to sue not send in the Feds, they won't get me on their side.
philocrates is offline   Reply With Quote