View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
The article says that B&N should make it a standard Android tablet (i.e. rooted out of the box, essentially), and that they would gain book customers by doing so, not lose them. It then also says that if B&N can sell a tablet with such a nice screen, anyone can - i.e. all these other tablets coming out must be overpriced by a lot.

But I wonder - perhaps B&N is selling the Color Nook at a loss right now, just to get people to buy more books and magazines. I understand that that is what Amazon did when they first introduced the Kindle. I think it is arguable whether selling rooted versions would sell more books or less. B&N obviously thinks less, so they probably think they would be taking a risk of loosing money on every sale of a rooted Nook and not get enough book buyers to make it worthwhile.
There is a price break down on the nook somewhere on the net, I belive the estimated cost of the nook is under $200. So they are not taking a loss, but not making much on the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschoemaker View Post
Hmmm, I doubt they are selling them at a loss. Maybe the margin is minimal, I certainly would never sell that volume of product at a loss. Especially when someone can easily root it and download the Kindle app and buy my competitor's product.

After watching the video I think the author is trying to impress that Android type-devices are going to become the new "Ipod". Except that unlike the Ipod multiple companies will produce them and price pressure is going to kick in... something like the Walkman which started out in the hundreds and can now be had for $20.00 if you can find one (wow, aging myself there).

I really like the comment that if a book seller can make something like this then anyone can.
Yep I agree. To be fair most of these manufactures are coming out with better hardware than the nook, but are charging a premium price for it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote