View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
My battery on my 505 JUST went. Last two days or so it all of a sudden won't hold a charge. So I have to decide... do I finally ditch my trusty 505 (which is in otherwise solid shape) or do I toss a little cash out for something new? Emphasis on "a little", because I don't really want to spend that much right now. The obvious alternative then might be a Kobo Wifi, while they're on sale.

I have only a day to decide though, since the $40 coupon on the Kobo for Borders Rewards ends on the 17th. I have a $17 store credit. The Kobo Wifi with the coupon is $99. So I'd pay $82 plus tax.

But... I won't really use the Wifi. Its not a feature which matters to me, since I use Calibre and a USB cable for everything.

So... opinions. Do I simply fix the 505 (the instructions on the site here seem pretty clear, and it looks like I can get the battery for $15 or $16 bucks shipped), or go Kobo? Is the Kobo a year in now, with the latest firmware, and on their 2nd generation of hardware, good enough to trump an older Sony unit (and yes, I do have the PRS+ addon)? That's basically what I need to know, I guess, since I've barely paid attention to the Kobo since it came out (and never actually tried one hands-on when it did).

I'd go for the fix, and save up for your new 9" screen ereader!!!
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote