View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
In some respects the Kobo is a fairly basic reader. It doesn't have a collections feature, nor does it keep multiple bookmarks in a book - it only keeps track of how far you've read. And it doesn't present books sorted by date. It does have five font sizes, using either a serif or sans-serif font, and, of course, the ADE is an improved version. I find the Sony somewhat easier to use because of its two sets of page turn buttons, and better menu selection buttons. For $20 and half an hour of work, I'd probably stick with the Sony...
I'm shocked to hear the Kobo STILL doesn't have real bookmarking after a year of development on their firmware. Is that lack ON PURPOSE for some reason?

The Collections feature I could live without, but I also think a lack of a date sort, like the bookmarking, seems like a shocking lack after so much development time. A continued absence of those after so long almost seems like a middle finger to the buyers--they hardly seem like sophisticated advanced features which would be a lot to expect. Bookmarking and date sorting are basic stuff.

Its a shame, because obviously around the $80 is a hell of a steal and after tomorrow I doubt I'd have another chance to get it that low, but yeah. The Kobo would actually have to be at least decent even still for me to spend that $60 difference (assuming the Sony repair to be around $20).

Again, this is all a stopgap. Next real leap would be to a big reader--I'm just not ready yet.

Last edited by Spiffy; 01-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote