View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #2941
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I tore through the Ryira Revelations pretty quickly, enjoying them clear through, but they fully satiated the comfort food jag I had been on since shortly pre-lockdown.

Casting around for something with a little more bite, I saw Max Gladstone put out another Craft Sequence book last year, so that was an easy call. I'm almost done with Ruin of Angels, which is mostly a heist/caper, and like the other books, the city where it takes place is as much a character as the people (and other sentients). Cindy Day's reading is for the most part stellar, with great character voices, pacing and intonation. She does cover a wider dynamic range than most, which sometimes made it hard to find a comfortable volume where everything was intelligible and nothing was shouted.

It does feel more like Gladstone is zeroing in on a formula in this volume, and this city struck me as less allegorical, more grounded in his world than a riff on ours. The earlier books were clearly alt-NYC, alt-LA and alt-Honolulu, and this one is probably alt-San Francisco, and it's not like any of them were full-tilt allegory, but this city, Agdel Lex, seems the least tied to its counterpart in our world. Maybe I just don't know enough about San Francisco.

I'm also listening to a Great Courses lecture series from the Audible sale, How Great Science Fiction Works. I'm 3 or 4 lectures deep, and the one I heard tonight, about the intersection of historical fiction and SF, did a number on my TBR list. I suspect there will be more of that, going forward.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote