View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #216
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I say we don't read the works of others based on Lovecraft's work if we should read Lovecraft before the other works in order to get more out the other works. Because that means the newer books are kindle of forcing us to read Lovecraft in order ot get the most out of the newer books. So no thank you.
Lovecraft didn't write a series. There's no ongoing storyline. He just wrote a number of stories that shared similar theme and they would often reference imaginary books like the Necronomicon. I don't believe there's a need to read Lovecraft or even be familiar with his name to enjoy Lovecraftian fiction.

Of course, I have no problem reading Lovecraft, though his racism and purple prose does wear on the reader. His racism was extreme even for his time. But the more I learn about Lovecraft, he comes off as a sad, damaged man fearful of everything. Not that that excuses his attitudes.