View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I believe under windows it's not possible to set a port number less than 1024. In this case, you need to use your router to forward queries on port 80 to port 8080. Unfortunately, I'm down with the flu, so I dont have the mental acuity to help you right now. Hopefully, some one else will.
It is probably not possible to set a port number below 1024 on any platform at the moment.
It would be logical to restrict portnumbers to >1024 on Unix where you would need root privileges to do that but on Windows port numbers below 1024 should't be a problem.

I had a look through the source and found the following in .\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\config.u i
The limit is in config.ui where there is a minimum and maximum defined for the input field Server Port.

So currently there are three ways to overcome this:
  • wait for Kovid to get better and persuade him to lower the minimum
  • download the source of Calibre from sourceforge and change config.ui and copy it to the correct location in the installation folder and rename config_ui.pyo so that config.ui is picked up instead
  • figure out port forwarding, isn't to difficult depending on your router

About that forwarding. Don't go for the forward of port 80 on the outside to for example port 8080 on the inside.
Reason is port scanner will find your webserver and try all kinds of nasty things if found something responding to request on port 80. Its safer to forward 8080 on the outside to 8080 on the inside. This is ofcourse only possible if you're allowed to access 8080 from the wide world. Alot of companies restrict access to the outside world.

Regards,

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote