View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Do your research and make a realistic book budget,, if you havent already. I hate to see you spend $150+ on a reader and not be happy with costs and quality of selection.

I didnt realize used book costs are that high. In my area there arent any used book stores. Libraries have put them out of business. Still if $4 is more than you're willing to pay, then really look at the indie publishers to see if they will satisfy your reading habits.

Regarding libraries -- Are they suffering budget cuts in your town/state/province? This may affect their digital inventory. In my state Overdrive and all ebooks are scheduled to end July 1st. Results of a $10 million budget cut.
Our libraries (a county wide system) have experienced on-going cuts and have reduced their hours & staff significantly. I expect more cuts. There are not many used bookstores in my near vicinity, but the thrifts, like Goodwill & St. Vincent DePaul, carry books.

My eReader will be a birthday gift, so I won't be buying it, and I figure there is enough in the public domain to keep me busy for quite some time. Personally, I'm not looking to the eReader as a total replacement for paper books, only a supplement. I look forward to clearing some shelf space of the classics because they are so readily available.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote