View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Just fyi, there was this thread on this subject last summer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49845
Didn't know about that thread, but it's a "Seriously Thoughtful" one, and I intentionally left that banner off in order not to frighten away folks who may wish to interject some humor or veer a bit off-topic from time to time.

Not that that's ever stopped me before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, that was the thread that I started. I'm a huge fan of radio shows, and have hundreds of GB of them on disk. The nice thing about radio is that it doesn't use much storage space, so you can fit huge amounts onto an iPod!

Must admit that comedy from before my own time doesn't really appeal - I've always found comedy to be a very "generational" thing. The BBC have done excellent radio versions of some of its classic TV comedy shows - Dad's Army, Yes Minister, Steptoe and Son, etc; all wonderful!
If I'm not mistaken, the BBC's Steptoe and Son was the inspiration for the Red Foxx TV vehicle Sanford and Son.

There are a few old comedy radio shows that I like. The Jack Benny Show is one of them. While the character of Rochester is at times painfully close to being a minstrel show knockoff, I do enjoy the way he was always getting the best of every verbal exchange with the show's white star, something actors of color rarely did in those days. Fibber McGee and Mollie also have their moments, as does Duffy's Tavern, but as a rule, I agree that comedy is highly generational.

Another comedy that stands up well in my opinion is Our Miss Brooks.

Quote:
Drama is more my thing. I'm a big fan of all the old detective ad SF shows, both British an American (although I do still find it very odd, when listening to, say, the 1940s "Sherlock Holmes" stories from the US, to hear Dr Watson suddenly going into rhapsodies about "Petri wine", or whoever happened to be sponsering the show at the time ).
Ah yes, Petri wine! Those radio adaptations of famous detectives such as The Adventures Of Nero Wolfe, Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot, and The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes as a rule seemed to stray far afield of their creator’s original intention, they were still great fun!

One of my favorite old time radio detectives is Boston Blackie, who always seemed to be on the verge of getting himself arrested for the very crime he was trying to solve.

Rogue's Gallery is another one of my favorite private eye detective shows. What made Rogue's Gallery unique is that at least once in each episode, Richard Rogue would get knocked out, at which point he would have an encounter on Cloud Eight with his alter ego, Eugor, who usually managed to provide a hint to the solution of that episode’s mystery. (And you thought TV’s Mannix got a lot of hard knocks to the head! Well, actually, he did.)

Quote:
In case anyone doesn't know, "Internet Archive" (www.archive.org) hosts a massive collection of old (mainly American) radio shows. And it's all legally downloadable, too!
Thanks for that link, Harry!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-25-2010 at 08:42 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote