View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
lol, yes I know. All but a handful of the titles we publish ourselves in print and eBook (must be about 80-90 in our catalogue at the moment) are just WORDS, maybe a slightly fancy chapter header to pretty things up. But of the HUNDREDS that we get through for our author and publisher clients each year, about 10% need images, some with captions, some are fairly technical books with diagrams and tables, so we have to address that as best we can to put food on the table and keep the lights on.

Personally, I'm all in favour of trying to make the best work possible and that's the reason why a number of our clients use us rather than (and I'm saying this as a gross generalisation so don't read too much into it) "cheap overseas eBook sweatshops".
Their print book designers have put a lot of effort into the design of the original book and we try to reflect that as best we can in the digital edition using the tools available to us. Yes, we can't make an eBook look identical, and often we need to reimagine the design to suit the media - as one ALWAYS should. And sometimes, we make beautiful things.

We ARE the bookmakers and we are the artists and dreamers that make books to delight young and old. Yes, only we as bookmakers notice the little touches that we put into our work, but what if we stopped TRYING but wash our hands and say "oh well, that's the way it is". This is our ART, this is the lifeblood of those that choose to make a living from it.

Anyhoo... I think I'm going to reboot this thread in a bit because I did have a proper technical question to ask before I went off on a moan
You sound as though you work/own our shop--that's how we view it, too. Nonetheless, when it comes to things like SVG, having already experimented with that, we are not using it now, EXCEPT for very heavy-text-tables, and of course, we MQ it so that the KF7 readers get a high-ish Rez jpg/gif and the KF8's get the SVG. Other than that, given the troubles with them, we're not yet using it.

Offered solely FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote