View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Speaking of things that might as well not exist to me, itunes and all the Apple stuff.

AZK sideloading has been as long as I can remember, but I don't pay close attention to the Apple side of things. You are the expert one on that front.
Yeah, that's what they tell me, but don't bet your own money on that. :-)

Quote:
Don't SVGs on Kindle also have the problem where the device forces a page break before AND after each SVG? (?) I forget the specifics you explained last time. I'll have to go hunting down that topic.
Our recent tests indicate that it works--kinda--in KF8, if you don't mind that you can't zoom the image. They work like text, not images. And they don't work AT ALL in KF7.

Quote:
I personally haven't gone back to messing with SVGs since I know the old Kindles (+ Android/iOS versions) are a disaster with them. Would cause a hell of a lot more headache at the commercial level—you may be able to finagle a handful of images or your individual book, but all the fallbacks are just a giant pain in the butt at scale.

But when I work on books, I do try to lay the groundwork with vector Formulas/Charts/Graphs, so in the future, I could add it into the book when there is better support.
Yes, as do we. But...how many clients will ever bring their books back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Yes, we get little but grief from KP3... the previous version at least would happily build you an AZK. Not seeing that in KP3.
Yes, and you can run both, still, if you have a PC. I do.

Quote:
No, my real beef was about INCONSISTENCY. Some devices and situations will support SVG and they've been talking about it being available for YEARS.
Yep, there's millions of KF7 devices there and we're still trying to support the widest installed user base possible - but threre's 'billions' (kinda) of iOS devices out there and to not support features that would make a more elegant looking book (yeah, folk want their pretty things) in a readily updatable application just seems daft.
But the SVG issue still exists. If you embed a jpg and an SVG, for every image, to cover all bases, what happens to the delivery fee for the client?

More importantly, the millions or billions of iOS devices makes no never mind, as they say in the US South, because by any form of competent measurement, while iOS users buy games, and apps, and even movies--they don't buy BOOKS. If you mean, iOS users have K4iOS, sure--but there's no way, really, (no decent way) to media-query a book for that particular device, which means you're jimmy-rigging it, for ALL KF8 devices.

(Also: I'm not sure that most readers really give two s**ts about how the books appear. We, the bookmakers, do. But the readers seem to not care at all. Otherwise, there is zero explanation as to why some books that are obviously nothing more than uploaded Word files--and barely that--do so well. We may well want to make "pretty" books--but we're wrong, if we think that's a big issue for the end-buyer. It's obviously and demonstrably not.)

Quote:
So... the general advice is steer clear of SVGs for mass-market eBooks then?
The main reason for taking a little time to revisit this in the last week before Christmas was to see if it was possible to get a reliable soluton to full-page images cross-platform and also with captons that didn't orphan themselves half the time.
Honestly, I don't see that SVG addresses that AT ALL. People think it does, because of Calibre and the cover SVG yabbity-yab, but it has nothing to do with whether or not an image will go edge-to-edge in a MOBI. They are two different issues.

Quote:
I've been through SO many blimmin 'solutions' but never really satisfied - plus KP3 seems to have this really annoying bug where paging back and forward will land the page renderer between elments that make up your image, so it screws up.
? Sorry? I don't understand what you're talking about. How many "elements" make up your images? Mine have one--the image. Thus my confusion.

Quote:
(oh, and who else noticed that the left-hand page button triangle thingy is crooked?! Sigh).

Anyhoo... big thanks to everyone that's chipped in here with some sage advice.
Sure. Anytime, but trying to make a Kindle book, specifically to target iOS devices--I think you're investing a lot of time and brain damage chasing the rabbit that disappeared down the hole, if you know what I mean.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote