View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by popman View Post
I intend to modify and install the kindle firmware available from amazon.
it would make it a lot easier if some knowledgeable person could answer some questions for me.

-how exactly can I go through the process of compiling the modified source? (all snippets are in .tar.bz2 files, so it's pretty daunting, since I have not compiled a program of this size before)

-how may I be able to install the same firmware version which is already installed? (I could easily change the version number, but that might cause issues ahead)

-is there any published run-down of the source available? (I would like to avoid working from scratch if I can help it)
I read an overall misunderstanding in these questions, so first . . . .

Pick a model and a version - for that selection;
There are three general license categories of the source materials:
  • Source materials that require that those sources be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are otherwise public, but do not **require** that they be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are private property.
Amazon releases the minimum required for license compliance -
The "Source Code Bundles" only contain the first category materials.

Far, far, far from being a complete enough set to build a replacement of the complete firmware system.

If that is not your intent, if instead you are only interested in building that small (but vital) portion of the firmware represented by the source code bundles . . . .

Then repost your specific goals, and we can give you links to a lot of the background materials and tools.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote