View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I have a feeling that you are making this much more complicated as I intend.
Not really. Most users don't need to retain multiple variants indefinitely on their HDDs. Users only need variants when transferring ebooks to their reading device. Users already complain that calibre uses too much hard drive space with it's mandatory file structure. If output profiles could be loaded/saved it would be a reasonable compromise between user's needs: little HDD space would be used, and complex variant formats could be (re-)created almost instantly (after creating the initial output settings profile).

Or, let me try getting my point across another way: Why must you have a *.kobo_glo.epub, *.kobo_aura.epub, *.sony_t1.epub, and *.bokeen_gen3.epub always sitting around on your HDD?

It would make far more sense to load your Kobo Aura output settings, select the books you want, and then send to device. Switch to your Sony T1 and then your Bokeen Gen3 and do the same. What would it take to load these settings... a minute, worse case?

Quote:
I do not rely on Calibre to store my original files. I store them seperately.
Good! I was seriously worried for your ebook collection.

Quote:
IMHO it should be possible to designate a format that should NEVER be touched.
I don't have a problem with being able to write-lock a specific format to avoid accidentally tampering with it. The naming convention used isn't something I'm particularly worried about. I'm unaware of issues with regards to the naming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The most common reasons for me having two files of the same format for the same book are different editions (e.g. draft and final) and different languages.
Do I understand you to be saying that you've only got one record for every title in your database? In effect there is one and only one Madam Bovary record to cover all print, movies, tv series, audio, images, photos, etc?

I completely understand the related supplementary files issue. I haven't really needed to deal with that in detail yet. But then I'm using multiple custom series columns which allow me to fork my numbering structure to allow for material that is related, but not specifically a part of any book title/series. So I can have say... Frank Herbert's Dune series, allow for the books that his son (and company) wrote, and still account for review, analysis, cliff notes, atlases, and anything else, regardless of author.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote