View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #63
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
I think it's fair to speculate on something like this, especially since there has been a lot of negative news about B&N and the Nook over the last year or so. The problem is presenting speculation as facts or certainties. I think the problem with this perception arose out of the title the OP chose -- "Nook clearly headed for the dumpster" when it's uncertain what will happen to the Nook brand and B&N's e-book business.

Using a word like "clearly" when the fate of B&N is actually pretty "cloudy" is going overboard. But then I notice the OP likes to speak in absolutes -- ie, saying that "Caecilia is the best font for eInk. No question."

Personallly, I would never use Caecilia as my everyday font for reading ebooks. The ascenders are too short relative to the font's mean line, resulting in a sort of short, squat appearance. It is also widely known that a large differentiation between the ascender and mean line makes reading easier for most people. My own favorites are Adobe Garamond and Georgia. At any rate, fonts are a very personal choice -- the same way colors are -- so to say one font is the "best" for eInk is going quite overboard.

Getting back to B&N, here is what TechCrunch said on May 8th:

Quote:
"The documents also reveal that Nook Media plans to discontinue its Android-based tablet business by the end of its 2014 fiscal year as it transitions to a model where Nook content is distributed through apps on “third-party partner” devices."

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/08/mic...for-1-billion/
Just one month later, on June 11th, they say something different (same website; different reporter) ... saying B&N will get out of the ebook business and concentrate on low-cost tablets/e-readers:
Quote:
"Nook tanking these apps means that Barnes & Noble’s efforts around e-books officially now trail Amazon’s in terms of cross-platform access, but it’s likely B&N is setting its sights on a broader goal of becoming a player in the low-cost tablet space with Nook hardware, as it has recently introduced features that both add Play store functionality to the Nook HD line, and unlock key missing features like a browser for the Simple Touch, making them more than just e-readers."

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/11/bar...trategy-shift/
So, even the same source -- TechCrunch -- is saying different things! If I had to guess, I would say that B&N remains a content provider long after they stop making tablets and/or e-readers. But if and when that happens is anyone's guess. Could be 2014 or maybe not for a few years. While I wouldn't count on it, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more generation of the Nook android-based tablet.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote