View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
[WIP] Port of Kindle Paperwhite OS

Hi everyone!
I'm posting this to see if there's enough interest, and to find someone wanting to help me out.
I'm currently working on porting the Kindle Paperwhite firmware to the Kobo Glo. This should be fairly doable since the hardware is very, very similar.
Since the software is proprietary and under copyright, everyone interested to run it will have to download the 5.3.1 update from amazon and extract it from there.

Currently I've written some scripts that mount the firmware image extracted from the update in /mnt/kindle, and then chroot there. The software should then start calling the file "/etc/upstart/framework". It still doesn't display anything.

I will provide more detailed instructions if there's anyone willing to help.
The next steps I'm facing are:
- enabling logging. I've created a /var directory but still it stays empty.
- The framebuffer on Kobos has a depth of 16 bpp, while on Kindles it is 8 or 4 (still unclear to me). I have to find a way to change the mode of the display; I've tried fbset but it does nothing. -> SOLVED

I hope that someone else will be interested in this effort
to the next update!

EDIT: I'm adding the supporting files I've already created.
framebuffer_configure sets the eink panel to be driven at 8bpp, like the paperwhite does.
Attached Files
File Type: gz kobo_kindle.tar.gz (6.6 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by giorgio130; 01-29-2013 at 03:50 AM.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote