View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by novou View Post
As Lunchtray said, a device tracking usage metrics is not surprising. But I disagree with them about whether stats of the detail they described using for their games (counting button presses!) are necessary, or even that useful.
It's not exactly counting button presses but sometimes yes. For instance if you have an option in your game that allows the player to change languages to any EFIGS and you notice it's never used that might indicate to not translate some games in the future or that you need to highlight it elsewhere in your marketing assets for other countries. There may be a menu button that you want players to use but they don't... what can be done to fix it?

Notice how in the new firmware it's not "Library|Store|Reading Life"? Odds are they noticed that having that configuration wasn't working for them so they put it all under "Home" and are now trying the recommendation engine at the bottom to get people into the store. So, In Kobo's case the answer to the possibly less used store button was to implement "Featured/Recommendations" bar at the bottom to hopefully drive customers to buy more books and get them into the store.

Usually the analytics just grabs everything you can possibly do for a program and sends back the data and the company has to clean it up to understand how the customers are using the products and how to improve it.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote