Thread: Classic nook Reviews
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Use tax? Never heard of it and most likely neither have the majority of consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if some states have something like that on the books but they'd have to prove tax evasion, which would be hard. A law no one is aware of is hard to enforce. There are a lot of tax laws no one cares about or knows about. It would be like claiming what you got paid for babysitting on your income taxes. Who does that?

In other news, I finally saw the nook at a B&N today. Apparently the stores in Arizona just got them today. I don't know if other places already had them but this was my first chance to play with one. I still prefer the Kindle for now. In addition to having a better ebook store, I prefer the physical key navigation and qwerty. The nook's lcd screen wasn't as responsive or intuitive as I had thought. I got the hang of it the more I played with it and, in their defense, I had and easier tine typing quickly and accurately on it than I did on an iPhone or my Droid's software keyboard. However, at one point I guess the screen couldn't handle the fast typing and it faded to white. I had to reboot the device to get the navigation screen back. I had my Kindle with me and people were asking me about it and coming up to look at it, even the B&N employees. I was explaining the advantages and disadvantages of each. I like that you can change the font on the nook (it comes with three but I don't know if you can add more later) and that it's based on Android, an open source OS. I also like the idea of lending, though the 14 day limit is pretty annoying, something one guy who had already ordered the nook didn't like very much. He was thinking about lending books to his family but didn't think his daughters would get a book read in 14 days. Especially if it were particularly long. He was very interested in the fact that Amazon allows six Kindles on one account access the same library. A B&N employee said that wasn't allowed with the nook. Isn't the ereader format locked with a credit card number, though? Could he just unlock the books on another device? At any rate, I strip the DRM off all my ebooks, so I could "loan" the book out if I wanted to. Most people only read a book once, anyway, something people can already do for free at the library. Or they could go into a bookstore and just read there, haha. Publishers are far too worried about the lending feature. They need to ease up on the restrictions. So the nook is neat but not something I'm really interested in buying for myself. I also like being able to browse news sites and Wikipedia on my Kindle. Sadly, that's another thing B&N doesn't want you doing.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote