View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #110
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purl4peace View Post
I do wish Sony would get on the stick and announce a larger format -- this is really going to put Sony behind the 8-ball and could quickly cause them to lose market share making Kindle the defacto standard.
Yep. And even though there are plenty of other great uses, as you say, if Amazon gets the students and business users on board, they've got a really good lock.

If you look at the Mac vs Windows thing, one of the main ways Mac has kept a good market share is going after the student market aggressively with discount programs and donations to schools as well as their design and marketing. Windows still has the largest share because it got the business market. Plus many of the people who use it at work buy it for the home. They're used to it regardless of whether it's the best tool for the job. Since Windows has the marketshare, they get more attention from software development. Just like Kindle gets more book exclusives being the 800lb gorilla, there is plenty of software out there that you can only run on Windows. Emulation doesn't work for everything. Even though I primarily use Linux I will always have at least one PC with a copy of Windows on it because of this.

If Sony cedes both these sectors to Amazon, I doubt their reader division will stay viable. As the tech improves and these devices become more commoditized, the margin is going to be in the content, anyway, and that's already Sony's weak suit and Amazon's strength.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote