View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post

Why do people put plastic over the screen? I haven't scratched it yet.

You sound like you are all fixed up with protecting the player. Have you figured out everything on it already?
Glad that I sound knowledgeable I don't have the unit yet. My mother is holding it till I visit the USA in January. Mostly I read many of Blossom's ( and some others) posts here on MR and some on the XDA developer site in the SGP5 threads. I think the screen guard is helpful as the screen is an acrylic or something not as indestructible as gorilla glass. I read somewhere that it is better to get the clear and not the anti-glare. Some brands can leave a sticky residue, so read the reviews. I do want to be prepared as I have limited time in the US and want to purchase everything that I need before or while I am there. Prices are about 1/2 of what we pay here.

I do currently have a friend's KFHD that she gave me to set-up for her daughter (really, she begged me to!). I have tried out some apps and side-loaded media and am (very carefully) experimenting. It may all go away when I de-register it from my account - but we'll just setup a new account for her daughter and re-install everything. It will be nice to have some media and apps pre-loaded for her to play with. We cannot access Prime here, so that doesn't matter or help.

Meanwhile, my daughter has informed me that I am to bring her back a Nexus 7! So, now to see about N7 accessories/cases/etc. - as well as Android 4.x apps. The reading helper apps should be the same though.

I was leaning towards buying her the KFHD, since I can get Google Play apps with the SGP and I absolutely love the look and feel (screen, sound) of the Kindle. I don't mind the few extra steps to work around the interface. But she is studying computer technology at university and wants to "play" with the latest android.

These threads on the SGP5 are very helpful and interesting. Thanks for keeping up the discussion. Also, many thanks to Blossom and others for all the useful info and suggestions!

Last edited by rgeorg; 11-30-2012 at 11:16 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote