View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
Got mine about a half-hour ago.

First impressons:

• Nice, no-slip coating on the body of the kindle, I like!
• Wait, where's the power slider? Oh, that's right, they moved everything to the bottom. I've read enough reviews that I should have remembered that.
• Nice screen, definite cut above my PRS-300 or the K2i that I sold last week.
• But, is it just me, or is the screen more reflective than previous models? I'll be sure to compare it to my PRS-300, but I don't have the k2i to compare directly anymore. Sitting next to a window, I could see my face in the screen. Seems my older models were more matte than this, though could be it's just an exceptionally bright day out or something.
• Webkit Browser is great, lots faster than the k2, and renders pages nicely. Article mod is really cool, too.
• However, navigating pages with lots of graphics, the screen does NOT clear itself as well as it should before displaying the next page. Almost every time I turn a page on the browser, there's a ghost image of the previous page still there, and strong enough to be distracting. I don't remember this from the k2's browser. Seemed like it properly wiped the previous image before displaying the new one.
• I connected to my WPA2 / PSK network just fine, but after doing that, the first time I tried to go into the experimental menu to load the browser, the system crashed, and started rebooting. Stuck itself on that page for a few minutes with no progress moving on the bar, then acted like it power-cycled itself and started over,and this time booted successfully. A little flakey, if you ask me. And I had only loaded one book out of my archive on it. Maybe it was still indexing, but i woudlnt' expect it to be so flakey with only one book on there.
• Page turns are fine if you're sitting up and holding the kindle, but if you're laying reclined and holding the kindle essentially upside-down, it's hard to hold the kindle with your thumb near the page turn buton. I have to hold it beneath the screen instead, it makes holding it while laying down more awkward. with the k2 I could hold it with my thumb right near the page turn button, then just kind of rock my thumb to change pages.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the improvements, but I don't think it's perfect, by any means. Hopefully a lot of the stuff (ghosting) can be fixed with a fw update. Screw the 20% faster page turns, if they're not properly clearing the screen, they need to slow it back down!

That's my two cents for now, after using it maybe 20 minutes total.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote